contact

you may contact shona via email:
smacomberarts@gmail.com

2/18/11

Reflections on "Back to the Drawing Board" (literally)

My Audience and Inspiration
I often hear comments like "You're so lucky to get to do what you love," or "How nice you can just stay home to work," or my favorite, "I wish I could just play all day!"  I do feel blessed to do something I love ALOT.  And there are some real advantages to working at home-- except that no one really thinks of what I do as working. I'm my own worst enemy on that one, followed by my family. The real work is not painting, it is self-discipline and focus.  And today I am facing the biggest challenge to focus: the "now what?"  Now What? comes after something you've worked on for a long time doesn't quite make it... a painting gets Honorable Mention in a show, or no mention at all; or a painting sits for months in the gallery and begins to look tired; or, as for me today, you get the "You're talented but...." response from a graciously honest publisher.


No pity needed, just an understanding of the challenges to being true to oneself.  I've been painting professionally for over 25 years and I'm not sure what comes next.  Kind of like raising kids, you get to a place of needing to adjust your approach.  Only with kids, you have to learn to back off; with art, there comes a time to push forward.  That time is just around the corner for me... I'm just not sure which corner.  (I'm still wondering if I'm on the right road!)


I'll set my book project aside for a little bit and do some new light-hearted work, maybe in a fresh new medium, just for my own little audience, just for me.  Then we'll see What's Next?!

No comments: