contact

you may contact shona via email:
smacomberarts@gmail.com

5/6/11

New Possibilities


I think there are times when life just needs to stop-- not at a dead end but at rest.  What would happen if you just stopped doing what you've been doing for years?  I don't consider myself anywhere near retirement age; besides, an artist doesn't "retire" from making art, just like a mother doesn't leave the job of being a mom.  But both come to places of change in life, transitional periods calling for a re-evaluation of how time is used.  My life as an artist is about to take a turn onto a road once traveled years ago:  I'm going back to "real" work... you know, the kind with a starting time, quitting time, and a paycheck.  My biggest fear is the loss of painting time but before I became a stay-at-home mom, I painted prolifically  while working at a full-time-plus job.  It was my joy to sit down at my art table for the evening and paint late into the night.  That's not going to happen these days, but I think that making the choice to paint during off-hours will be powerful.  I don't see going back to work as a dead end for painting but as an opportunity to get back to painting as a daily vacation.  It will be interesting to see what comes out of this approach to art work, both in number of paintings and in subject matter.  I start in a few weeks so stay tuned for some changes... 

No comments: