contact

you may contact shona via email:
smacomberarts@gmail.com

9/6/11

Yellow Dress


I eat lunch outside most days, sitting just within the shady boundaries set by overhanging branches of graceful old oak trees.  The usual early-September heat is just bearable and reminds me that there is always a last gasp of summer right after school starts.  Today a light breeze shuffled small leaves along the pavement and I watched them mindlessly, simply letting go of the effort my new job requires of me.  I'm not sure how long before I began paying attention to the fact that the breeze now seemed to toss those leaves a bit higher until they they were airborne.  Nothing else appeared changed, but in those few minutes, I realized that Indian Summer had tiptoed in, bringing a familiar tug at my heart.  By the time I got home this evening I was certain:  the lovely melancholy of Fall has arrived, almost undetected.


This year's palette is beginning with soft gold-yellow and lavendar-pink against deep basic greens.  Yosemite has put on the current look, again tugging at my heart in a sweet, indescribable ache.  My husband and I spent yesterday afternoon riding bikes in Yosemite after the Labor Day crowds had waved good-bye to the madness of summer in the Valley.  You could almost hear the exhalation of relief as Indian Summer moved gently through the grasses and trees.



You never know where the visual journey of Fall will take you.  Perhaps that's a part of the season's allure, why it is a favorite for many.  Unexpected wildness mixes with sweet delicacy, intenseness with softened neutrals; inspiration demands expression.   It brings me back to my paintbrush.  Perhaps Fall will be irresistible once again despite changes in my life...






Yellow Dress, 11x13", is available.  Contact me for pricing.

No comments: