contact

you may contact shona via email:
smacomberarts@gmail.com

9/6/10

A Time to Rest

I love the look of an overgrown garden. Every space is filled with full-to-potential plant growth. But the fading colors and dried former flowers remind me that the overgrowth must be attended to. So yesterday I began that attending. I was hesitant and unaggressive when I first began trimming dried and brittle stems, but as they fell away I discovered a thriving community of hidden weeds threatening the spaces needed for garden plants. Digging and pruning my way through the overgrowth, I began experiencing a sense of freedom, renewed energy, a fresh outlook. The lesson was not lost... this is what needs to be done in other areas of my life. End-of-the-season clearance.

My garden isn't as glorious as it was earlier at the peak of its bloom, but there is a new beauty in the clean, clear spaces, simple shapes, and trimmed edges. Fall will bring a bit of new growth and I'll plant some annual color for the season. But the stage has been set for rest and rejuvenation.

"A Time to Rest" was painted en plein air early last spring in the herb and vegetable gardens at Milfiori. I pulled it from the pile of in-progress work, remembering the beauty that had captured my attention. It's a garden ready to happen, ready to flourish when the weather warms a bit more. Those empty spaces will once again fill with thriving greenery and splashes of color. Just like the new stages of my life, which will also blossom, especially if I give them a good 'tending to.

No comments: