contact

you may contact shona via email:
smacomberarts@gmail.com

10/10/10

Completion




It's been a while since I have taken the time to work with my blog and I've missed it! I have been posting thoughts about recent paintings on Facebook, but it isn't the same "platform". I feel I have to keep thoughts condensed, requiring minimal time to read as FB seems more like a "checking -in" process for most people. But it's also the best way to connect people with my art and like it or not, that is important in order to have the audience that an artist needs to be inspired to keep working. Connection with people provides purpose to making art. I'd like to believe that I paint for myself, but I think that God has created us to be givers, to be blessed by sharing, to be enriched by receiving what others give.

I'm also in the process of creating a new website which will have an easier access to the blog. Right now things are awkward, a little cumbersome to use. I'm spread between three (four, counting FB) access locations and I hope the new site will bring them all together in an efficient and attractive way. I'm not sure when it will be born, but I'll send out an announcement!

"A Year at Milfiori" has been completed. It has been a year of significant new friendships, personal growth, spiritual deepening, and artistic progress. I have learned to see that every painting is a success, whether it is framed in the warm satisfaction of "finished" or ends up as a reference for a new painting. Some may even be found recycled on the back of another painting, serving a supporting role. Anything I (or perhaps you) do to be growing as an artist, is a success.

Very few locations can measure up to the inspiration of the seasons at Milfiori. I hope to paint there again and again. But this morning I was reminded that heart-grabbing loveliness is found in every-day life. Simple subjects become enchanting in a moment of soft morning light, or dramatic with golden glow in late afternoon. Stop to notice these moments. Paint them on your heart and then perhaps the urge to paint on canvas or paper will become overwhelming.

No comments: