contact

you may contact shona via email:
smacomberarts@gmail.com

1/21/11

Pediatric Clinic Project





I've put the final touches on one of my biggest assignments in recent years-- Foothill Pediatric Clinic. This project was a step back for me. Not back in importance or value, but back to the beginning of my free-lance career as an artist. I first started painting whimsical watercolors in the 1980's when cute was big: cute geese, farm animals, and primitive doll characters (remember?!). It wasn't long before people began asking for these subjects on walls themselves. It was the peak of the "overdone" era and painted borders, murals, and wall accents gained popularity as printed wallpapers-- which were everywhere-- had their limits. People wanted the look but wanted it custom.

My first wall-painting job was for a friend who wanted a charming room for her two-year old daughter. She envisioned large pink bows at the top of all four walls. I had done lots of bows in my watercolor paintings (another 80's passion) and moved from small, intricate details painted with tiny brushes to BIG twelve-inchers done with a one-inch brush. It was freeing! The work was done fairly quickly despite the need to measure and mark positions carefully. Textured walls were similar in approach to rough watercolor paper and I soon learned that wonderful effects could be created by taking advantage of that texture for highlights and a loose, painterly look.

For many years I hauled two large bins of those colorful bottles of pre-mixed acrylic paint, plus brushes, rags, water container, pencils, palette...you get the picture. Then I climbed ladders, moved ladders, stretched, balanced, reached, and occasionally fell while creating personal rooms. I endured the stressful pain of spilling paint on carpets (I still rarely use drop-cloths), scratching a brand new counter with the heavy paint boxes, and worst of all, having someone NOT like what I had done-- thankfully rare. My most physically challenging project involved painting wildflowers around a light fixture on a 20-foot barrel ceiling! I look back now and think, HOW DID I DO THAT?!!

I've turned a room into an underground rabbit hole, like Peter Rabbit's, and another into an underwater adventure. I've left ceilings looking like the sky, and playrooms surrounded by trains, planes, boats, and villages. Wine cellars have grapes, windows have been bordered with chickens, and many gardens have been "planted" on various walls, doors, and furniture. There are mice and rabbits and girls dancing around many rooms; dogs, cats, horses, cows, pigs and who knows what are at home all over California. I've loved every project, especially if it seemed to bring joy to the occupants of those rooms.

But I got tired! It's hard to climb those ladders and scary to think of falling. So now I take on occasional rooms with regular ceilings and I've learned the rules of simplicity... I can now get everything I need into one easy-to-carry bin by mixing my own wonderful colors. And this latest project has shown me again that working Big is very fun. Especially if your audience is made up of children and people who love working with them.

Thanks to Foothill Pediatric for a great experience and a renewed willingness to hit the walls again!

No comments: