contact

you may contact shona via email:
smacomberarts@gmail.com

1/9/11

Celebrate Daffodils

Life with a theme... interesting idea. Sometimes I'll do a painting with someone else's selection of a theme to work with. My creative thinking kicks in to wrestle with new ways of seeing that idea and even though I'm not an "over-the-top" concept artist, I usually come up with something that feels fresh and new to me. A theme is different from a commission, which usually involves some specific details that a client wants included in an art piece. With a theme you can choose to represent the subject itself or focus on a particular aspect of the subject/idea, such as shape or color. That's the direction "Celebrating Daffodils" took.

A daffodil by itself looks animated to me. I can almost see a funny little face. I'm reminded of Spring programs in elementary school with daffodil costumes, or of course, a ballet tutu. It's been hard for me to take daffodils seriously. But attending last year's International Daffodil Show at Ironstone Winery gave me a new appreciation for this amazing flower. I've never seen such sublime shades of yellow and orange or intricate detailing. Daffodils can stand artistically by themselves in simple grace but it is when they are bundled together that the color and complexity tug at my heart.

Ironstone hosts a thematic artshow featuring daffodils and this year I wanted to participate if for no other reason than to express the new love I have for them. The cake says "Celebration", the flowers themselves sing of coming spring. The subject is actually a color scheme: yellow and white. I can almost escape the grayness of this winter's fog each time I walk by the painting!

I have a feeling there are other areas of life that could benefit by being approached with a theme. Meals, clothing, gardening... how 'bout tomorrow itself? Choose a theme for the day and incorporate it in as many ways as possible. Let me know what you come up with!

No comments: