contact

you may contact shona via email:
smacomberarts@gmail.com

5/29/11

Preparing the Surface

 The last few weeks I haven't spent the hours in my studio that I usually do.  I think I may be subconsciously preparing myself for a new schedule as my "real world" job starts soon.  And I've traveled a bit, seeing new places, meeting interesting people.  Now that I'm back, I thought that I'd jump right into a new painting as I usually do when I've had fresh input and inspiration, but it's been a slow start.  I just haven't seen the new piece in my mind yet; instead I've been processing-- not about paintings but about the direction of my life.  Which is what being an artist is all about:   responding to living and then communicating those responses in a way that impacts those who see the resulting work.


I don't know what to expect from changes ahead, but expectations are usually what motivate us to move forward.  I have learned what I can solidly bank on, what I can firmly expect to be reliable, and that is God's moment by moment leading in my life.  I'm no longer a "God helps those who help themselves" person; it has taken most of my life to unlearn helping myself.  I'm now a watcher, listener, a follower.  There is no better surface preparation for new experiences, surprising opportunities, challenges, and growth.


I still don't know what my next paining is going to look like, but this morning I chose the support it will be painted on.  I've applied two layers of white gesso, one with a texture added to it.  The surface is now fresh and clean, ready to receive color, form, shape, line... art-vocabulary to speak something new into existence.  A bit like my life--or perhaps your's as well.  Here's to the unknown!

No comments: