contact

you may contact shona via email:
smacomberarts@gmail.com

8/1/11

Treasure Hunt

Berry-picking has been a part of summer for most of my years (which are beginning to accumulate).  I have fond memories of both the process and the products that have resulted from hand selecting each perfect specimen.   When I was young we would gather blackberries from the "you-pick" farms nearby and my mom would make jam and cobbler, which was often served with home-made vanilla ice-cream.  Later, one of my first jobs located me near raspberries and I began my "Martha Stewart" phase, making fresh raspberry turnovers from flakey pastry filled with layers of butter.  Thankfully for my body-compostition, this specialty was time-consuming and never gained the status of Tradition.  (I have recently found, however, a wonderful bakery that makes them for me).  Now my husband, children, and I are easily drawn to berry bushes when the ripe season peaks.  In something a little like a treasure hunt, we search for those perfectly dark, sweet, juicy gems to drop into waiting buckets or watering mouths.  I freeze the find for waffles in the winter, saving enough to bake into pie... the ultimate berry experience.


Berry season is short and sweet, and provides one of the homiest adventures summer has to offer, proving once again that it's the small things in life that provide our greatest joys.


Anyone have a favorite berry recipe to share?  I'd love an excuse to go out and gather.


(Treasure Hunt is available)

No comments: