contact

you may contact shona via email:
smacomberarts@gmail.com

12/6/10

A Little Help...

The journey of an artist is full of twist and turns, and well should be. Work needs to be fresh, constantly reflecting the experiences of life in order to connect with others who have similar encounters. I'm learning that people need art, not just for its surface entertainment or decorative value, but to be moved in the deeper pockets of the soul, the places where God's Spirit interacts with each of us.

Such a heavy opening for a light-hearted painting! But the process of painting "A Little Help..." was very introspective. It's been a while since a whimsical piece has tickled my thinking much less arrived fully developed, so when the vision for a bunny standing on a sheep popped up, I was delighted.

Life has been very "realistic" for me the last few years and my paintings have followed suit. I've needed to feel connected to the truly beautiful elements surrounding me, to learn to capture them in solidly good paintings. I crave being outside and hope that my recent months of plein-air painting will continue.

However, my inner-world in one of those transitional stages, with kids not only more independent, but downright aggressive about breaking out and claiming their own identities. (Perhaps a new painting will feature baby chicks breaking out of an egg...) My role in their lives has changed from hand-holding to simply supporting. And I've got to paint it!

It feels good to be back in the realm of whimsy. I hope it stays, begging to get out through my brushes.

"A Little Help..." is available at Prestidge Gallery and through the website.

No comments: